Local Historical Societies

Hobsons Bay is home to two historical societies who are each dedicated to the preservation and celebration of our local history.

Altona Laverton Historical Society

The Altona Historical Society was formed in 1961, incorporated in 1996 and in 2000 it amalgamated with the Laverton Historical Society to form the Altona Laverton Historical Society.

Altona Homestead, originally called Laverton Homestead, was the first homestead run built on the foreshore of Port Phillip in the 1840s. It is now a museum in which the Altona Laverton Historical Society is situated.

The museum contains an eclectic mix of objects from earlier periods and photographs of the area.

The museum is located at 128 Queen Street, Altona (opposite the Altona Library).

Museum opening times:

Tuesdays: 11am - 2pm
Saturdays: 10am - 12noon
First Sunday of the month 2pm-4pm

Phone: (03) 9315 0527 or 0447 840 895

Williamstown Historical Society

The Williamstown Historical Society was founded in 1956, and its Museum is located in the Mechanics Institute, a National Trust listed building dating from 1860.  The Museum is a comprehensive history outlet, offering books, booklets, brochures, postcards, souvenirs & research services.  The collection highlights the historic seaport’s maritime history, and also includes furniture, costumes, sporting memorabilia, paintings, photographs and a wide range of social history exhibits that illustrate life in Williamstown from the 1840s.

The museum is located at 5 Electra Street, Williamstown.

Museum opening times:

First and third Sunday of the month, 2.00pm-5.00 pm.

Phone: (03) 9397 1534