Joining is Easy!
Bring along some ID with proof of your residential address to any Hobsons Bay Libraries branch and we will get you started with your library membership.
You can also join online.
Borrowing and Reservations
- Borrow up to 25 Items at a time.
- Books and talking books can be borrowed for 21 days.
- Magazines, CDs, CD ROMs, DVD can be borrowed for 7 days.
- You can renew your items twice, provided it is not on reserve for another customer.
- Reserve items via the library catalogue. Once ready for collection we will notify you by email, and you will have 7 days to collect the item.
Fees and Charges
Library membership is available at no charge, and there is no charge for most services and facilities including borrowing items, using PCs or wi-fi.
Borrowing and internet use will be suspended if your charges exceed $5.00.
Damaged or lost items will be charged a full replacement fee plus an $8.00 processing charge.
|Overdue items||$0.30 per item, per day to a maximum of $6.00 (maximum of $2.50 for junior items and magazines)|
|A4/A3 printing b/w||$0.30/$0.50 per page|
|Replacement library card||$2.80|
|Inter Library Loan||$3.00/$1.80 concession|
Frequently asked questions
Can I still borrow or use a computer if I don't have my library card?
You sure can. If you have forgotten your library card, please just show us some ID with your current address.
I don't know/can't remember my PIN?
You need your PIN to reserve and renew items, and to login to PCs and wi-fi. To retrieve your PIN please visit any of our branches with your library card and ID.
I joined at branch A, can I use branch B?
Absolutely. Your card is valid at all five Hobsons Bay Libraries' branches, as well as online for all our online resources, eBooks, eMagazines and more. You can borrow from one branch and return to a different one, and reserve items to be sent to your nearest branch.
Is there a minimum age for library membership?
There is no minimum age to join the library, however anyone aged under 18 will need a parent/guardian or responsible adult to give consent for a new membership.
Watch how to join the library
Some fine print about library membership...
- Your library card is required every time you borrow, use our PCs or wi-fi, print or photocopy.
- A parent or guardian must be present to join a person under 18 years of age.
- If you lose your card please notify the library immediately. We will put a stop on your card, and a new card can be issued for a replacement fee.
- Internet membership is available for anyone without proof of Australian address, for use of PCs, wi-fi, eBooks and online resources.
- You can use your card at any branch of Hobsons Bay Libraries. Items can be returned to any branch of Hobsons Bay Libraries.
- Members are responsible for overdue charges incurred when material is not returned or renewed by the due date.
- Hobsons Bay City Council sets fees and charges.
- Members with charges over $5.00 may not access library services.
- Members are aware that the Hobsons Bay City Council may take steps to recover library materials and outstanding charges through external agencies, such as Debt Collection Agencies. Disclosure of members information will only occur when recovery of outstanding charges is necessary
- All users will conduct themselves in a manner considerate of others, will not conduct illegal activities and will treat Council facilities with reasonable care.
- Members may not send, receive or display material that may be reasonably considered obscene or offensive.
- Members must comply with copyright legislation.
- Breach of conditions of use may result in a warning, followed by suspension of access, to library services.
- Hobsons Bay Libraries does not disclose personal information for any purposes other than those specified in the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000.
- Members understand that Hobsons Bay Libraries collect, uses and records personal and sensitive information for statistical and security purposes.
- Members are required to notify the library of change of address. Proof of address is required.
- Members are responsible for all material issued on this card, including loss or damage to library material or equipment.
- The guarantor is responsible for overdue charges, loss or damage to library material.
- The guarantor has access to all details and borrowing history of this card.
Fees and Charges
Conduct in the library
Your Details and Privacy